The Regina Public Library has been exhibiting art continuously since 1949, when art was presented in the periodicals reading room. In 1964, a multi-purpose art gallery was built as part of the Library's current location.
The Gallery was named Dunlop Art Gallery in 1972, after Ms Marjorie Dunlop. Ms Dunlop was the former Chief Librarian of the Regina Public Library.
The Gallery has been professionally staffed since 1962.